Position Available: Superintendent
District Name: Independent School District 113, Walker-Hackensack-Akeley
District Address: 301 4th Street; PO Box 4000; Walker, Minnesota 56484
District Website: www.wha.k12.mn.us
Qualifications: Hold or be eligible for licensure as a Superintendent in Minnesota. Successful experience as a superintendent or administrator preferred. Demonstrates strong commitment to student achievement, collaborative leadership, building partnerships in the communities, supporting staff learning and development, transparent fiscal management and a high level of integrity with the School Board, staff, students and community.
Consultant Assisting the Board: Patty Phillips (651-357-0996; email@example.com)
Student Population: Enrollment is 740 students. 51.2% qualify for Free and Reduced Lunch. 28.2% of the District’s students are Native American.
District Budget: $13-$15 million
District Schools: Walker-Hackensack-Akeley School District #113 serves Pre K-12 students in one facility in Walker. With the start of FY 21-22 there will be a newly constructed Level IV School located approximately two miles from the main site.
Communities Served: ISD 113 serves the four communities of Walker, Hackensack, Akeley and Onigum. The Pre K-12 school is located in Walker in northern Cass County and is situated on the southern shores of Leech Lake, which has over 600 miles of shoreline and is the third largest lake in Minnesota. Akeley is 11 miles southwest of Walker; Hackensack is 13 miles south of Walker; and Onigum is located on the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe Reservation 14 miles east of Walker.
- Certified Level 2 High Reliability School-only one of two in Minnesota certified at Level 2 status
- Highly dedicated staff with an encouraging and inspiring learning environment
- Small class sizes with large classrooms
- State of the art technology with 1:1 initiative PK-12
- Supportive parents and communities
- Teachers use the Marzano High Reliability Framework to guide instruction and help all students learn the content and skills they need for success in school, career and life
- Outstanding fine arts program with a newly renovated auditorium that seats just over 300 and excellent activities and athletic programs with over 30 extracurricular teams
- Active Community Education Program that annually offers 125 different courses for ages 4-adult
- Passage of 10-year bond referendum for technology and transportation with 1st funds received fiscal year 20/21
- Construction of a Level IV building funded by a gift is set to be completed 7-31-21
- District’s financial position as of 06/30/20: $4.2 million fund balance with $2.2 million unrestricted; cash and investments $5.2 million; bonds and direct borrowing $10 million
Union Affiliation-Education Minnesota
Teachers’ Contract Status: Currently negotiating for 2021-2023
- Application Deadline: June 10, 2021
- Candidate slate recommended to the Board: June 14, 2021
- First Round Interviews: June 16-17, 2021 Finalist Interviews: June 21, 22, & 23, 2021
- Projected superintendent contract action by Board: June 2021
- Superintendent Start Date: July 1, 2021
Compensation Package Offered: Regionally competitive salary and benefits
Application Process: Apply through School Exec Connect’s website www.schoolexecconnect.com
*You will be asked to complete the online application and submit through the School Exec Connect website a cover letter, resume, copies of graduate transcripts, at least four reference letters, and proof of certification to support your candidacy.