Position Available: Superintendent
District Name: ISD 279 – Osseo Area Schools
District Address: 11200 93rd Av. N, Maple Grove, MN 55369
Qualifications: Holds or is eligible for licensure as a Superintendent in Minnesota. Experience as a Superintendent or in a districtwide leadership position preferred. Demonstrates strong commitment to equitable student achievement, community partnerships, staff development, and leading for racial equity.
Consultants Assisting the Board: Dr. Ken Dragseth (952-210-2790), Ms. Patty Phillips (651-357-0996)
Osseo Area Schools seeks a Superintendent who:
- Works to ensure high levels of achievement for all students and accelerate the growth for students of color and other underperforming groups in order to close the achievement gap on all state-mandated measures.
- Understands the need for the district to attract and retain students in a highly competitive education marketplace.
- Demonstrates a deep understanding of racial equity and how it affects teaching and learning.
- Intentionally seeks different perspectives before making decisions, and is able to bring people together who have different viewpoints.
- Is a strong communicator in speaking, writing and listening; builds trusting relationships with families, staff, community members, and the school board.
- Demonstrates the ability to engage families and increase involvement in their child’s education.
- Is able to delegate authority appropriately while maintaining accountability.
- Has experience in the management of district resources and knowledge of the budget planning process.
- Serves as an articulate spokesperson for the school district and represents the district favorably to the public.
- Is strongly committed to putting students first in all decisions.
- Can make challenging decisions that may not be popular with everyone.
- Promotes a positive school climate to ensure a safe and healthy learning environment.
- Is capable of developing both short- and long-term district goals.
- Makes recommendations and decisions that are based on data.
District Highlights: Our mission is to inspire and prepare all students to achieve their dreams, contribute to community, and engage in a lifetime of learning. Our scholars benefit from exceptional opportunities, support and partnerships that help them graduate with the confidence, courage and competence to make their dreams a reality. Our students reflect our vibrant global community, coming from homes where more than 100 dialects or languages are spoken.
- Two of the nation’s Best High Schools according to U.S. News and World Report: Maple Grove and Osseo Senior High Schools
- Only Minnesota district honored as one the nation’s “Best Communities for Music and Education” for Music Education every year since 2009
- Magnet schools that allow students to deepen their learning in special focus areas:
- nationally certified elementary STEM school (one of top three elementary STEM schools in nation, 2015)
- elementary and middle STEAM (STEM plus arts) schools
- health science magnet high school
- International Baccalaureate high school
- State and national recognition for excellence in financial reporting
Communities Served: All or part of Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Corcoran, Dayton, Maple Grove, Osseo, Plymouth, and Rogers
At a Glance:
- 21,100 students (fifth-largest in Minnesota)
- 56% students of color
- 43% free/reduced price lunch participants
- 14% special education
- 11% English learners
- 3,146 employees
District Operating Budget: $240 million
- 17 elementary schools (PreK-5)
- Four middle schools (6-8) – Brooklyn, Maple Grove, North View, Osseo
- Three comprehensive senior high schools (9-12)– Maple Grove, Osseo, Park Center
- One alternative high school
- Two early childhood centers
- Two special program sites
- Adult Basic Education, Enrollment Center
Teachers’ Contract Status: Contract settled 2017-19 (Education Minnesota)
- Application Deadline: January 30, 2019
- Selected candidates screened by Advisory Committee: on or before February 7, 2019
- First round interviews: February 11 & 14, 2019
- Second round interviews: February 19, 20, 21, 2019
- Position Begins: July 1, 2019
Compensation Package Offered: Regionally competitive
District Website: www.district279.org
Application Process: Apply through the website www.schoolexecconnect.com. You will be asked to complete the online application and present a cover letter, resume, copies of graduate transcripts, at least four reference letters, and proof of certification to support your candidacy.