Position Available: Superintendent
District Name: Bemidji Area Schools, Independent School District 31
District Address: 502 Minnesota Ave. NW, Bemidji, MN 56601
Qualifications: Hold or be eligible for licensure as a Superintendent in Minnesota. Experience as a Superintendent or in a District Office setting preferred. Candidates must demonstrate a strong commitment to student achievement, building partnerships in the community, sound financial management, and educational success for students from diverse backgrounds.
- Approximately 900 staff, licensed and non-licensed
- Student ethnicity: 74% Caucasian, 21% American Indian, 2% Black, 1% Asian, 1% Hispanic
- 49% of students qualify for free or reduced lunches
- 16% of students are served by special education
- 62% of the Districts teachers hold at least a Master’s degree
- A recently adopted strategic plan focusing upon a high quality, progressive district, upon equitable student achievement, upon building relationships, partnerships and collaboration with stakeholders, and upon workforce development.
- Well defined student achievement goals at all levels
- A strong school readiness program
- Well developed Advanced Placement programs
- A large percentage of high school students earn college credit
- U S News and World Report ranks Bemidji High School among the top high schools in MN and nationally
- A comprehensive and successful athletic and activity program for students
- Excellent partnerships between the District and Bemidji State University
- Bemidji is located in the beautiful lakes region of northern Minnesota
- Bemidji is a regional economic and health care center
- Four Bemidji companies made the 2015 list of the 5,000 fastest growing small US companies, more than any other city in Minnesota
- Bemidji’s population in 2015 was 14,594, a 22% increase over the population in 2,000
- Bemidji was recently named the “Best Small Town in Minnesota” by Minnesota Monthly magazine
Communities Served: Bemidji and the surrounding 800 square miles
Student Population: Approximately 5,100
District Budget: Approximately $70,000,000
- Six elementary schools
- A middle school
- A high school
- A area learning center
- Pre-school programing
- Application Deadline: April 9, 2018
- Selected candidates taken to the Board on: April 13, 2018
- First round interviews on: April 14, 2018
- Second round interviews on: April 17, 18, 19, 2018
- Position Begins: July 1, 2018
Compensation Package Offered: Regionally Competitive
District Website: www.bemidji.k12.mn.us
Application Process: Apply through the website www.schoolexecconnect.com if you are interested in this position.
The successful candidate will be committed to equity and guide the district in providing a superior education for each student.
You will be asked to complete the online application and present a cover letter, resume, a copy of graduate transcripts, at least four reference letters, and proof of certification to support your candidacy.