WEST MICHIGAN ACADEMY OF ARTS AND ACADEMICS
SPRING LAKE, MICHIGAN
The Board of Trustees of the West Michigan Academy of Arts and Academics seeks a proven leader to serve as the Director of this unique charter school.
About the School
West Michigan Academy of Arts and Academics (WMAAA) is a kindergarten through 8th grade Public School Academy. It was chartered by Grand Valley State University in 1996. WMAAA is located in Spring Lake, Michigan, just north of Grand Haven. The school began with 108 students 19 years ago and ended the 2016-17 school year with 490 students.
Students at the Academy come from 12 surrounding school districts within a 20 mile radius, with the majority of the students residing in the Grand Haven, Spring Lake and Fruitport School Districts. WMAAA’s student population is 81% Caucasian 7% Hispanic 2% African American and 2% Asian which is reflective of the population of the districts where the students reside. Currently, WMAAA has a 21% free and reduced lunch population. 11% of our students qualify for special education services. WMAAA has 30 full-time teachers with an average of 10 years experience. One third of the staff possess advanced degrees in education related fields. Teacher to student ratios vary by grade level and are capped at the following levels; kindergarten-19, 1st-3rd-22, 4th-8th, 24. Six full-time arts teachers are also on staff.
The curriculum in grades K thru 4 is based on the concept of arts integration. The Academy staff seek intentional ways to integrate arts into core academic subjects. The purpose of integration is to develop a deeper understanding of a concept and reinforce it through dance, drama, art, music, or instrumental music.
The arts’ program in grades 5 thru 8 takes on a more traditional elective-based program. Students choose a focus area (e.g. dance, drama) and approximately one third of their elective classes address that discipline. Students hone their skills in this art form while completing a full class schedule of math, science, language arts, history, and additional electives.
The school has a full service special education department that consists of 2 resource room teachers (K-4, 5-8), social worker, psychologist, special education coordinator, occupational therapist, speech therapist, and two full-time reading and math interventionists.
The school has a $3.9 million dollar budget.
Qualifications and Desired Attributes
The Board is seeking a Director who:
- Is a strong, proven leader who listens carefully and can communicate clearly with a variety of constituencies and build trust.
- Has a deep knowledge of general education and arts education and who will lead WMAAA and its staff in the evaluation and refinement of the school’s curriculum.
- Knowledgeable in curriculum, curriculum alignment, state standards and student assessment.
- Has an established leadership track record as a strong decision-maker who can digest information from a variety of sources and clearly communicate the rationale for decisions.
- Values collaboration and transparency with the staff and community; is open to new ideas and is willing to listen and use the collective expertise of all staff.
- Is highly skilled at building strong, collaborative relationships with the Board, parents and staff.
- A hands-on administrator who relates well to children.
- Is a strategic communicator who writes well, is articulate, listens carefully to others and brings clarity and consensus to divergent opinions.
- Is knowledgeable about Charter school finance and can use limited resources in an efficient manner that places students first.
- Is highly visible in the building and classrooms as well as the community at large.
Michigan School Administrator Certification Required
Regionally competitive salary and benefits
Address and Website
West Michigan Academy of Arts & Academics
17350 Hazel Street
Spring Lake, MI 49456
- Accepting applications through April 4, 2018
- Consultant interviews ongoing
- Candidates presented to Board week of April 9, 2018
- Board’s first interviews week of April 16, 2018
- Board’s finalist interview week of April 23, 2018; Stakeholder group interviews concurrent with Board interviews
- Appointment of Successful Candidate-TBD
The Board reserves the right to modify or extend the search as needed.
Apply for this position at www.schoolexecconnect.com. Do not apply directly to the school.
School Exec Connect