Position Title: Chief Mission and Impact Officer
Department Responsibilities: Office of Public Affairs, Office of Institutional
Research, Admissions, Pre-Enrollment Programs, Statewide Student Initiatives, Advancement/IMSA
Immediate Supervisor: President
POSITION MISSION STATEMENT
The Chief Mission and Impact Officer ensures we are fulfilling our mission, “To ignite and nurture creative, ethical, and scientific minds that advance the human condition.” This embodies designing and evaluating programs and innovations, engaging in strategic partnerships, fostering a comprehensive and dynamic development program that results in significant supplemental resources and having a positive impact throughout the state of Illinois and beyond. The Chief Mission and Impact Officer will also provide a strategy for marketing, communication, and event production. This leader will aim to promote STEM by thinking about the pipeline of prospective applicants and making STEM exciting for Culturally, Linguistically and Economically Diverse (CLED) populations. The Chief Mission and Impact Officer reports to the President and is a member of the President’s Cabinet.
The internationally recognized Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy® (IMSA) develops creative, ethical leaders in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. As a teaching and learning laboratory created by the State of Illinois, IMSA enrolls academically talented Illinois students (grades 10-12) in its advanced, residential college preparatory program. It also serves thousands of educators and students in Illinois and beyond through innovative instructional programs that foster imagination and inquiry (www.imsa.edu).
IMSA is committed to an equitable, diverse and inclusive teaching and learning environment. Through a model of Equity and Excellence, IMSA has committed to advancing equity in STEM education and representation and creating a diverse, inclusive community of global citizens who can realize their full potential, and execute our mission to advance the human condition.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The Chief Mission and Impact Officer will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Ensuring programs align with our mission through a lens of innovation and
- Nurturing a pipeline of opportunity for prospective students to attend IMSA,
especially those that love STEM and are from CLED backgrounds.
- Proposing revisions and improvements to programs that do not serve the needs of
students from CLED backgrounds.
- Leading the exploration, development, cultivation and evaluation of strategic alliances and partnerships that advance IMSA’s mission in collaboration with the President and Cabinet colleagues.
- Engaging alumni to contribute to the Academy through their profession,
financially, and/or mentoring.
- Providing direction to the marketing and brand to attract diverse populations,
including students from out of state.
- Advising the Student Committee for IMSA’s Advancement (SCIA) engaging
legislators, university and corporate leaders,
- Guiding the development of marketing and media relations strategies that include
a full complement of digital, web and social media outlets.
- Overseeing the planning and implementation of special events and assemblies.
- Leading issues management, prioritizing and proactively addressing public affairs and reputation issues that can affect IMSA’s success.
- Serving as the formal and legal head of the IMSA Fund for Advancement, a separate, 501(c)3 entity with a governing board and staff.
- Leading COVID mitigation strategy and communication in collaboration with the Health Office.
- Directing major gifts, endowments and planned giving programs while providing
stewardship for a portfolio of high value donors.
- Supervising the Office of Public Affairs, including alumni relations, the Office of Advancement/Development, the Office of Institutional Research, the Office of Admissions, Director of Statewide Student Initiatives, Director of Pre-Enrollment Programs,
- Other duties as assigned
- Senior level leadership experience in an institution of comparable complexity, dynamics, creativity and vitality.
- Experience in marketing, branding and programming to attract diverse populations.
- Experience in program evaluation or other measures of accountability to ensure an organization is living up to its mission.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent human relations and collaboration skills.
- High emotional intelligence.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and a commitment to explore possibilities wherever they may be.
- Ability to stimulate people into “possibility thinking”.
- Strong record of success in leading and influencing others to accomplish major tasks and move major strategic work forward.
- Demonstrated evidence of cultural humility and cultural competence.
- A proven record of building, sustaining and scaling successful fundraising programs.
- Previous experience developing and/or leading alumni engagement programs.
- A proven record of success inspiring, developing and supervising staff and volunteers.
- A core strength in brand strategy and the development and execution of integrated marketing and communications plans that include measurement of results.
- Broad and deep knowledge of market research and customer survey tools, website analytical tools and metrics.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Work is performed in an office setting with minimal exposure to health or safety hazards. Substantial time is spent on motivating people to engage with the mission. The following physical activities are common: sitting, moving about the building and campus, written and oral communication, computer work, auditory perception, and visual acuity.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
This leadership position is a full-time twelve-month position. Salary and benefits are commensurate with training and experience expected at this level of leadership in comparable institutions. The Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy offers an excellent comprehensive benefits package including health and retirement benefits.
The Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex, age, religion, or national origin. This policy also includes the handicapped and all disabled Vietnam era veterans. IMSA utilizes only job-related criteria in making decisions concerning applicants and employees.
- Apply for the position through the School Exec Connect website: www.schoolexecconnect.com
- Please submit the required credentials through the SEC website.